Electric Skillet Pot Roast
If I asked you to think of a classic Sunday night meal from your childhood, what would come to mind? For many of us, pot roast is likely the answer. It’s not only a staple for family meals and perhaps holiday gatherings, but everyone knows it is filling and delicious. Still, what about those summer days when the last thing you want to do is heat the oven for a roast? That’s where this electric skillet pot roast recipe comes in! With just a few minor differences, you can bake your roast right in an electric skillet. You’ll not only save energy by merely heating the skillet, but you also won’t overheat your house with the oven.
Recipe images by In the Kitch
Electric Skillet Pot Roast
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon thyme, ground
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 3 ½ to 4 lb chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup mini carrots
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Make a dry rub by combining the salt, paprika, thyme, garlic powder and peppers. Rub it all over the roast.
- Add oil to electric skillet and heat to 400°F. Brown the roast on all sides.
- Add the onion and celery to the skillet and cook until softened (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add the beef broth, worcestershire, bay leaves, carrots and potatoes to the skillet. Cover the skillet. Bring to a boil. Then reduce the temperature to 200°F and simmer for 2 ½ to 3 hours. Keep an eye on the water level, adding more if it runs low.
- Discard bay leaves and serve.
With minimal effort and only a few hours of cooking time, you should have a perfectly tasty pot roast right from your electric skillet. The seasoned carrots, potatoes, celery, and onion will cook right beside the roast for great flavor and perfect tenderness. Electric skillets do a great job by cooking evenly throughout the pan and regulating the temperature consistently, which makes them a perfect choice for summer baking. Even beyond keeping the heat down, this could be a great option if your oven is already full of casseroles for family gatherings!
We hope you enjoy this electric skillet pot roast recipe! Have you prepared a pot roast in an electric skillet before, perhaps with this recipe? Please let us know what you think in the comments, and if you liked it, we’d love it if you’d share the recipe with your friends and family!
Joss is a home cook who enjoys cooking day in and day out for her family. Ever since she was a child, she had a passion for cooking and baking and knew it was the right path for her! She joins us on ‘In the Kitch’ to share with you some of her favorite recipes.