These electric skillet veggie nachos make the cooking process easy by just layering the ingredients, putting on the lid, and letting them cook without heating the whole house on a hot summer day. Make them at home or take your skillet on your next camping trip to enjoy them anywhere. Even without the meat, these vegetarian nachos have plenty of seasoning, fresh veggies, beans and cheese to keep you full and satisfied.
- tortilla chips
- cheddar cheese
- canned black beans
- taco seasoning
- green onions
- sliced black olives
- fresh cilantro
- fresh jalapeño peppers
How to Make it
- Preheat skillet and layer ingredients. Preheat electric skillet to 375ºF. In a small baking pan, arrange the tortilla chips, cheese and black beans. Sprinkle with the taco seasoning.
- Cook. Place a small baking rack into the electric skillet. Then, place the baking pan on top of it and cover with the lid. Cook for approximately 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve. Top with the tomatoes, green onions, black olives, fresh cilantro and jalapeños. Serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream, if desired.
Interesting Fact About Nachos
Did you know that the original recipe for nachos is vegetarian? In 1943 in Piedras Negras, Mexico, when a maître d’ named Nacho created this dish for a group of women, he only used three ingredients: tortilla chips, shredded Wisconsin cheddar and sliced jalapeños. After that, whenever someone adds ingredients like meat, salsa or black beans, it is a “modern” version of nachos.
In a way, this veggie nachos recipe is an homage to the original for its vegetarian ingredients and its use of the original ingredients: the tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese and jalapeños.
Nobody likes soggy leftover nachos, so use the electric skillet to reheat the nachos and they will come out warm and crispy. Just return them to the pan and into the skillet preheated at 350°F for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
If you are in the mood for a drink with your nachos, tequila-based drinks like this slushy margarita are a classic. The mojito, another refreshing Mexican drink, can help cool your tastebuds with its use of mint. Here is a non-alcoholic mojito recipe. As for beer, you may want to go with a blonde ale.
Did you enjoy these skillet nachos? Let me know in the comments and please share the recipe!
Electric Skillet Veggie Nachos
- 4 cups tortilla chips
- 2 cups cheddar cheese - shredded
- 1 cup canned black beans - drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup tomatoes - chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions - chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives - sliced
- fresh cilantro - chopped
- jalapeño peppers - sliced
- Preheat electric skillet to 375ºF.
- In a small baking pan (9” should work well), arrange the tortilla chips, cheese and black beans. Sprinkle with the taco seasoning.4 cups tortilla chips, 2 cups cheddar cheese, 1 cup canned black beans, 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Place a small baking rack into the electric skillet. Then, place the baking pan on top of it and cover with the lid. Cook for approximately 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Top with the tomatoes, green onions, black olives, fresh cilantro and jalapeños. Serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream, if desired.1 cup tomatoes, 1/4 cup green onions, 1/2 cup black olives
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? TRY OUR: