Cake Pop Frosting & Coating
If you’ve ever wondered how to make cake pops, you might be surprised to discover how easy the process actually is. They usually consist of mixing crumbled cake with a frosting, inserting treat sticks, then coating them in icing and finally decorating to give them that finishing touch.
We’ve got the frosting part covered for you here! This recipe for homemade cake pop frosting and coating is simple and straightforward. It uses ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
This recipe teaches you how to create frosting and coating options, without candy melts, that are deliciously smooth.
You may not require the entire amount of frosting; just use what the recipe you are following calls for. The serving size can easily be adjusted to your needs or you can store the extra amount in the fridge or freezer.
Your finished made-from-scratch cake pops can be stored in a cool, dry place for up to a week, though we’re pretty sure they won’t last that long! Be sure to keep them covered so the cake won’t dry out. Storing them in the refrigerator or freezer is also possible.
Once you’ve mastered this basic recipe, you may want to consider some alternative flavors and substitute ingredients that can make your cake pops unique. For the powdered sugar-based coating you may consider using a different extract than the basic vanilla.
You can add peppermint or almond extract to add flavor to the icing. You can also adjust the thickness by adding more milk or icing sugar. Try experimenting with different kinds of cake.
Are you ready to make some cake pops? Pull out your favorite mixing bowl and all the ingredients you’ll need to follow these instructions and get started!
Cake Pop Frosting and Coating
Cake Pop Cream Cheese Frosting:
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 8 oz cream cheese (1 package) - softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lime - optional
Cake Pop Icing:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla - optional*
For the Cake Pop Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Melt the unsalted butter.
- Mix cream cheese, icing sugar, unsalted butter and vanilla extract until smooth with a hand mixer.
- Add the lime zest and mix well. This frosting will be mixed with a crumbled cake to form the cake pop balls.**
For the Cake Pop Icing:
- Mix powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. This icing/glaze is to be used as the cake pop coating. If you would like it to be thicker, simply mix in more powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. If you'd like a thinner coating, add some more milk, little by little.
- After dipping the cake pops in the coating, you can dry them at room temperature or in the fridge if you are in a rush. It will take about 30 minutes or more.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Hungry for more? Try our Hemp Seed Salad