We all know kids love fish sticks, and what could go wrong with such a quick and tasty snack? Even though they are enjoyable, it’s additionally common knowledge that frozen fish sticks are filled with sodium, preservatives, and a number of fillers that kids just don’t need.
If you are looking for a way to prepare fish sticks at home without the additives, we have a fantastic recipe for you! That’s right, it’s not only possible to make your own fish sticks, but it’s easy and we’re betting it’s far tastier in the end than the alternative.
For this recipe, your most important ingredients are a few white fish fillets, breading ingredients, and oil! As a bonus, we’ve whipped up a tangy dipping sauce to accompany the fish sticks by combining mayonnaise, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce!
My mouth is already salivating from just considering the symphony of smoky and sweet flavors.
In all honesty, the trickiest part of this recipe is the slicing of the fillets into sticks. This may seem a bit daunting if you haven’t previously done it, but our suggestion would be to make the slices lengthwise and then cut those pieces in half.
In this manner, you can quickly turn your fillet into fish sticks without much hassle or any additional slicing. The fish sticks may be as thin or chunky as you like, just note that the wider the sticks, the fewer you’ll have in the end.
Once you’ve sliced them, the rest of the recipe is easy. Beat the egg in one bowl, and toss the breading ingredients together in another. Dip the fish sticks in flour, and then coat them in egg, followed by the breading.
All that’s left is frying the fish in the cooking oil! Once the fish sticks are deliciously golden, stir together the sauce ingredients and enjoy!
Have you prepared homemade fish sticks before? Do you have any suggestions from your experience? If you liked this recipe, we’d love it if you would let us know in the comments, and please feel free to share it with your friends and family!
Fish Sticks with Sweet Mayo
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 4 white fish fillets
- 1-2 cups cooking oil
- 1 lemon - cut into wedges
For the Sweet Mayo Dip:
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl.2 eggs
- Place the the flour with the paprika and salt in a bowl and mix together.½ cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon paprika powder, 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the bread crumbs in a separate bowl.1 cup bread crumbs
- Pat the fillets dry and slice them into small strips. Add them to the flour to coat them and shake off the excess.
- Dip the flour-coated fish pieces into the egg and then press them into the breadcrumbs until covered. Place them all in a large tray.
- Heat 1 to 2 cups of cooking oil over medium-high heat in a deep skillet. Add the fish sticks to the pan carefully in batches (4-5 at a time so the oil doesn’t cool off–this way the fish won’t absorb so much oil). When they are golden and crispy on both sides (about 2 minutes per side), remove them to a cooling rack over paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- To make the dip, simply mix the ketchup, mayonnaise and Worcestershire sauce together.¼ cup ketchup, ¼ cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Serve the fish sticks with the dip and lemon wedges.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Hungry for more? Try our Mexican Tortilla Baskets