Are you looking to try a new homemade snack or appetizer? Want to liven up Taco Tuesday? It can be easy to feel uninspired when you’re often the host of parties and game days while the same snacks seem to play on repeat.
You know you’re looking for something fresh and creative, something to impress your guests, and yet, even your Pinterest inspiration boards seem lackluster.
Let’s branch out for a moment and consider a delicious Mexican snack with fresh veggies and bursting flavors.
This recipe for miniature Mexican tortilla baskets is easy and will have your guests asking for more! Sometimes, nothing quite satisfies a craving like homemade Mexican food.
The great part of this recipe is that you can make these baskets with just 20 minutes in the oven. There’s no need to purchase special wrappers or fry them in hot oil. Your guests will be amazed that they were made by you!
I’m personally always on the lookout for something I can throw together with my everyday kitchen ingredients. With this recipe, you can customize it with what you have on hand and fancy ingredients aren’t required.
Further, I love that these little baskets are, in essence, a mix between open-faced tostadas and tacos. What more could we ask for in the perfect snack?
With fresh ingredients, zesty spices, juicy ground meat and buttery avocado, every bite is bound to be bursting with flavor.
Have you prepared similar tortilla baskets at home? What is your favorite Mexican-themed appetizer or snack? Please let us know in the comments!
Mexican Tortilla Baskets
- 12 Mexican corn tortillas - cut into halves
- 1 avocado
- 2 tsp. lemon juice - or to taste
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion - chopped
- 2 green onions - chopped
- 1 cup ground meat - (lean ground beef, ground chicken, etc.)
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tbsp. Mexican spice blend
- 1 large tomato - chopped
- Cilantro - chopped
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Place the tortilla halves in the muffin tin cavities, creating small baskets. (You are basically just pushing them in and maneuvering them to fit. If you see them tearing in a couple places, that is normal. It might help to microwave the tortillas for 15 seconds or so to make them more flexible.)
- Bake them in the preheated oven until crispy, about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them! Let cool.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and green onion, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground meat and cook until fully cooked. Mix in the cumin powder and Mexican spice blend. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a bowl, mash the avocado and mix it with the lemon juice. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Fill the tortilla baskets with the ground meat, tomatoes, mashed avocado and fresh cilantro. Serve!
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Ready for dessert? Try our Grapefruit Vanilla Cake