Mexican Tortilla Baskets
Are you looking to try a new homemade snack or appetizer? It can be easy to feel uninspired when you’re often the host of parties and game days while the same snacks seem to play on repeat. You know you’re looking for something fresh and creative, something to impress your guests, and yet, even your Pinterest inspiration boards seem lackluster. Let’s branch out for a moment and consider a delicious Mexican snack with fresh veggies and bursting flavors. This recipe for miniature tortilla baskets is easy and will have your guests asking for more! Sometimes, nothing quite satisfies a craving like homemade Mexican food.
Recipe Images by In the Kitch
Mexican Tortilla Baskets
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Place the tortilla halves on the cupcake molds, creating small baskets. You can use a bit of water to make sure that they stick. It may also help to microwave them for 10 to 15 seconds to make them more flexible. Bake them until crispy.
- In a bowl, mix the avocado with the lemon juice and add salt and pepper.
- Heat the cooking oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and green onion, and cook until translucent.
- Add the ground meat and cook until well done. Add cumin powder, Mexican spice blend and salt and pepper to taste.
- Top the tortillas with the ground meat, tomatoes, mashed avocado and fresh cilantro.
Watch the Recipe Video Here:
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It does not include toppings.
The great part of this recipe is that you can make these baskets with just a few minutes in the oven! There’s no need to purchase special wrappers or fry them in hot oil. I’m personally always on the lookout for something I can throw together with my everyday kitchen ingredients. Further, I love that these little baskets are, in essence, a mix between open-faced tostadas and tacos. What more could we ask for in the perfect snack? With fresh ingredients, zesty spices, juicy ground meat and buttery avocado, every bite is bound to be bursting with flavor.
Have you prepared similar tortilla baskets at home? What is your favorite Mexican-themed appetizer or snack? Please let us know in the comments!
I am Joss, the creator and editor of In the Kitch. I am inviting you on this food journey with me to learn, grow and bring out that inner chef in you. I hope to inspire you to get creative in your own kitchen!