Leek & Potato Soup with Frizzled Leek Topping
Soups are the perfect food for when you want to feel indulgent, but remain healthy at the same time. They are warm, comforting, and delicious. Leek and potato soup is an especially tasty recipe that incorporates the interest and crispness of leeks with the hearty and reliable potato.
With just six ingredients, you cannot go wrong on a cool fall or winter day with this simple yet delectable soup.
This leek and potato soup recipe adds texture with the simple to make frizzled leeks and a chicken broth adds depth of flavor to this veggie heavy dish.
It’s a great way to warm your home and keep everyone full and coming back for seconds. As with most soups, it is easy to prepare then keep warm until you are ready to serve.
It also makes for great leftovers and heats up well. The frizzled leeks add a full-bodied flavor to the soup; just consider making a fresh batch of frizzled leeks when preparing on day two.
Looking for a vegetarian option? This recipe can be easily modified with a vegetable based broth. You can also try using different types of potatoes to vary the soup from one batch to another.
Leek and Potato Soup with Frizzled Leek Topping
For the Soup:
- 2 big leeks
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 cup onions - chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups potatoes - peeled and cubed
- Salt and pepper
For the Frizzled Leeks:
- 1 medium leek - trimmed of roots and dark green tops
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Remove the roots, outer leaves, and tops from leeks. Cut each in half lengthwise and then in slices. Rinse in a bowl of cold water and then drain.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add leek, onion and garlic. Mix them around in the oil and then lower the heat to medium-low. Partially cover, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add the potatoes, leek, onion and garlic to the hot broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the potatoes are soft (about 10 minutes).
- Make a puree with an immersion blender until the soup is smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with the frizzled leeks.
For the Frizzled Leeks:
- Thinly slice (julienne) the white and light green parts of the leek. Rinse them in a bowl of water to remove any dirt. Drain and pat dry.
- In a small saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the leeks to the oil.
- Fry the leeks, stirring often, until the leeks are light golden brown (1 to 3 minutes).
- Remove the frizzled leaks to a bowl with paper towel to remove excess oil.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Hungry for more? Try our: