Caprese Pasta Salad
Cool and refreshing, this Caprese pasta salad takes a classic summer dish and adds a delicious Italian twist. This recipe combines cooked pasta with a blend of basil, tomatoes and bite-sized balls of mozzarella cheese that add a light creaminess to the dish.
The ingredients might be simple, but don’t be fooled; a little flavor goes a long way. Anyone who enjoys Italian cooking knows that there’s nothing more delicious than a savory pesto or a fresh tomato just picked off the vine.
It’s not a coincidence that this Caprese pasta salad contains all the colors of the Italian flag. This recipe was inspired by the classic Italian Caprese salad, which consists of simply tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. We’ve added some basil pesto and sun-dried tomatoes for an extra flavor burst.
Various chefs have offered their own take on this recipe, which is great once in a while, but nothing tops the classic simplicity of the original. This version of Caprese simply combines the salad with fresh pasta noodles.
This dish makes a great starter salad for a multi-course Italian meal. With sun-dried tomatoes and a flavorful basil pesto, this Caprese pasta salad will put your guests in the mood for the best Italian food they’ve ever had. You can also serve it as a side dish or offer small servings as an appetizer.
Once you’ve mastered this dish, you can try experimenting with other ingredients. Adding a lean meat like shredded chicken makes this dish heartier and more suitable for a main course.
You can also try different cheeses like Parmesan and burrata. Try different types of short-cut pasta to alter the texture. Serve it warm or cold, it’s up to you. Over time, you’ll come up with a personalized dish that your family will immediately recognize and ask for by name.
Did you enjoy this easy Italian pasta salad? If so, please comment and share!
Caprese Pasta Salad
- 3 cups Orecchiette pasta - or medium shells
- ¼ cup basil pesto
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- 2 cups Roma tomatoes - chopped
- ½ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes - drained of the oil and chopped
- 2 cups bocconcini cheese - sliced in half
- Fresh basil leaves - to garnish
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente.
- Drain the pasta, rinse with cool water and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the pesto sauce to the pasta. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes and bocconcini balls. Mix again.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve. You can also chill it for an hour or two before serving.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Looking for a sweet treat? Try our Valentine’s Day Cake Balls in the Cake Pop Maker