Electric Skillet Butter Chicken
Butter chicken is a classic Indian dish that’s been making waves in the Western world. If you’ve never tried it, you’re in for an explosion of flavor that combines fragrant Indian spices with a rich, buttery sauce.
This recipes uses an electric skillet to cook the whole meal in one-pot, including the rice, for a convenient and quick week-night dinner.
Like most Indian dishes, butter chicken is traditionally served over a bed of rice or sopped up with a piece of naan bread. It’s comforting, hearty and delicious, and the perfect introduction to a whole new world of Indian cuisine.
So what gives butter chicken its delicious, savory-sounding name? The chicken is cooked in a sauce made from butter, coconut milk, tomato sauce and fresh Indian spices. Skip the barbecue sauce and discover a totally new way to use that leftover chicken you’ve got lying around in your freezer.
One of the best parts of Indian food is the sauce, so make sure you serve this dish with plenty of bread so your guests can mop up their plates. This dish may be full of Indian spices, but it is fairly mild compared to some of the spicier Indian dishes out there.
Butter chicken originated in restaurants in India back in the 1950s. Since then, it’s traveled all over the world to become one of the most recognizable Indian dishes.
It’s frequently recommended for beginners because it’s mildly spicy and composed of rich, savory flavors that everyone loves. And now, regardless of your background, you can prepare butter chicken right in your own home.
Most of the ingredients can be found at the local grocery store, and the specialty spices can be found at the nearest global foods market.
How would you rank butter chicken among the top Indian dishes? It’s definitely a favorite of mine. Share your thoughts with us in the comments and if you liked the recipe, please rate and share it!
Electric Skillet Butter Chicken
For the Butter Chicken:
- 1 ½ lbs. chicken breast - diced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup onion - diced
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. garlic - chopped
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. Garam Masala
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 2 tbsp. cilantro - chopped (garnish)
- Salt and pepper
For the Rice:
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. salt
- Add rice, 2 cups of water, butter and salt to the electric skillet. Heat it to 375ºF. When it starts boiling, lower to 200ºF and cook for 10-12 minutes, covered. Reserve.
- Season chicken with garlic, salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, whisk the coconut milk with the spices.
- Heat electric skillet to 375ºF. Add vegetable oil and chicken pieces. Sauté until golden on each side and cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- Add the butter, onions, broth and tomato paste. Mix everything together. Cook with the lid on for 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk with spices. Cook until thickened (around 5 more minutes).
- Season to taste. Serve over rice and top with chopped cilantro.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Hungry for more? Try out Hearty Beef & Cabbage Soup