Coconut shrimp, one of my favorite appetizers, is actually quite easy to make and doesn’t require many ingredients, making it simple as well as delicious. And to be honest, they look quite impressive once assembled and ready to serve with their golden, crunchy exterior and their perfect, one-bite size.
This particular recipe utilizes an electric frying pan and is served alongside a curry mayo.
Although this recipe makes use of an electric skillet for cooking the shrimp, a simple frying pan coated with oil would also suffice. If you are a fan of spicy dishes, you can mix the mayonnaise with a hot curry paste to liven up the dip. The mayo tastes perfect with the hot and crispy shrimp. This dill dip recipe would also complement the shrimp well.
Or you can let your guests choose from a small selection of dips as these shrimp taste great with numerous types.
Serve this coconut shrimp appetizer at your next get together, and it is sure to be a big hit! You may even want to consider doubling the recipe when preparing it for a party.
If you happen to have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator and eat within three to four days. They can be reheated in the oven to keep that crispy exterior.
Were your guests impressed by this appetizer? Let us know how it turned out in the comments!
Electric Skillet Coconut Shrimp with Curry Mayo
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 3/4 tsp salt - or to taste
- 2 egg whites
- 1 lb. uncooked shrimp - peeled and deveined
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- In a bag, mix the flour, coconut, curry and salt.
- In a bowl, lightly whisk the egg whites. Add the shrimp, ensuring they are covered. Remove excess egg whites and place the shrimp in the bag with the flour mix. It will be easier to coat them with the dry mix this way. They should be well covered.
- In an electric skillet, heat oil to 350°F. Fry shrimp, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides (3-4 minutes). Drain on paper towels.
- Add the curry to the mayonnaise and mix.
- Serve the coconut shrimp with the curry mayonnaise.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? TRY OUR: