Triple Meat Sub Sandwich with Creamy Sriracha Sauce
While ordering take-out for the family is easy, nothing beats a homemade meal that everyone can enjoy. Filled with meat like bologna, ham and salami, this triple meat sub sandwich will keep you and your family or other guests full and satisfied. The creamy Sriracha sauce, cheese and veg complete this hearty, classic sub sandwich.
What is a Sub Sandwich?
It is short for submarine sandwich because it is shaped like a submarine. It consists of a long loaf of bread and is filled with various meats, cheeses, vegetables, and condiments.
Submarine Sandwich History
The origin theory of this sandwich comes out of New London, Connecticut which is actually across the Thames river from a submarine base for the US Navy (in Groton). It was theorized to be introduced by Benedetto Capaldo.
At first, it was called a ‘grinder’ because of the chewy Italian bread, but the name ‘sub’ replaced it around World War II. It is loved today for its size, portability, and simple deliciousness.
Tips & Tweaks
If this sandwich recipe is for kids, and they cannot handle spice or strong flavors, that is not a problem. One of the best things about sandwiches is the ease of tweaking the ingredients for those picky eaters. It can be easily fixed by taking out certain ingredients for them, or swapping them for ones they love (like adding regular mayo or mustard instead of spicy mayo).
If you wish to add more or less dressing or substitute certain ingredients, I recommend a honey-mustard because it isn’t spicy and the touch of sweetness and tang complements the sandwich well. As for other mayo substitutes, you can get more creative:
- To have the same creaminess and density, you can mash some avocado for a vegan option.
- For the same tartness, go with Greek yogurt.
- If you want it to be oil-based, add pesto sauce or Italian dressing.
If you are feeding a crowd, make a party platter of subs. Make multiple sandwiches and then cut them each into 3” portions.
Now that you know how to make a triple meat sub sandwich, was it everything you were hoping for? Let us know in the comments and please share the recipe!
Triple Meat Sub Sandwich
For the Creamy Sriracha Sauce:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tbsp. sriracha sauce
For the Sub Sandwich:
- 1 submarine bun (12") - or French baguette
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices deli ham
- 8 slices salami
- 4 slices Bologna
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato - thinly sliced
- Red onion - thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the Sriracha sauce.½ cup mayonnaise, 1 ½ tbsp. sriracha sauce
- Slice the bread loaf in half.1 submarine bun (12")
- Layer the bottom half of the bread with the cheese, ham, salami, bologna, lettuce, tomatoes, and red onions.4 slices Swiss cheese, 4 slices deli ham, 8 slices salami, 4 slices Bologna, 1 cup shredded lettuce, 1 medium tomato
- Drizzle with some creamy sriracha sauce, or desired condiments. Top with remaining bread half. Cut in half to make 2 sandwiches. Serve!
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Hungry for more? Try our Toast Points with delicious topping ideas!
I am Joss, the creator and editor of In the Kitch. I am inviting you on this food journey with me to learn, grow and bring out that inner chef in you. I hope to inspire you to get creative in your own kitchen!