Cool off in the summer heat with this watermelon basil cocktail that takes only five minutes to prepare. Fresh lime juice and chunks of frozen watermelon infuse the alcohol with a sweet, refreshing flavor. Serve this drink with a lime wedge, basil sprig or watermelon slice for an extra summery touch.
- white rum
- Grand Marnier - You can substitute with triple sec if you are looking for a cheaper option.
- lime juice - Freshly squeezed.
- simple syrup - A mixture of equal parts water and sugar heated together until the sugar is dissolved.
- fresh basil leaves - Regular sweet basil. I added just enough so that you can taste the basil but it's not overpowering. You can start with a few large leaves and add more to taste.
- frozen watermelon chunks - Can either freeze your own cubed watermelon or buy pre-frozen chunks. Try to use the most red-colored chunks so that your drink has a nice, vibrant color to it.
- ice cubes
If you have a watermelon in the fridge, slice the fruit into cubes, lay them on a sheet tray and throw them in the freezer. Frozen watermelon makes your drink extra cold and blendable and creates a slushy-like texture that's perfect for hot, humid days.
This recipe features white rum. You can try out coconut-flavored white rum which has a subtly sweet flavor and hints of coconut and vanilla. Aged white rum has additional tropical fruit notes that vary. This watermelon basil cocktail will be a tropical treat for rum connoisseurs.
Likewise, Grand Marnier offers a complex orange and toffee flavor with hints of oak and vanilla.
While lime juice adds some citrus bite, basil complements the drink with a slight sweetness and earthiness. You can sweeten the drink to your taste with simple syrup, which is essentially liquid sugar, or leave it out entirely if you prefer.
How to Make it
- Add to blender. Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender in the order listed.
- Blend. Blend until smooth.
- Serve. Pour into a glass and serve with a lime wedge, mini watermelon triangle or basil sprig garnish!
Did you enjoy this herbaceous and fruity, frozen watermelon cocktail? I love the mixture of watermelon and basil together. Let me know in the comments and please share the recipe!
Watermelon Basil Frozen Cocktail
- 2 ounces white rum - or 4 tablespoons
- 1 ounce Grand Marnier - or 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoon lime juice - freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon simple syrup
- 8 basil leaves - or to taste
- 1 ½ cups frozen watermelon chunks
- 4 ice cubes - or about ½ cup
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender in the order listed.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and serve with a lime wedge, mini watermelon triangle or basil sprig garnish!
- For the watermelon chunks, you can either freeze your own cubed watermelon or buy pre-frozen chunks. Try to use the most red-colored chunks so that your drink has a nice, vibrant color to it.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.