Bite into an earthy, savory dish with this grilled asparagus in foil. Honey, orange juice and mustard infuse the dish with bold, summery flavors. Orange wedges offer a bright contrast to the dark green and enhance the dish with bright citrus tang. This recipe is ready in only 15 minutes and can be grilled alongside the main for an easy and quick dinner!
Grilled Asparagus Ingredients
- Green asparagus
- Olive oil
- Orange juice – fresh or from concentrate is fine
- Honey – you can substitute with agave nectar to make this dish vegan
- Dijon mustard
- Orange slices or wedges – to serve
Add an easy, healthy side dish to your cookout with this grilled asparagus in foil-packs. You can throw these vegetables on the grill alongside your favorite protein. If you have vegetarian guests, this dish provides a delicious alternative. Grilled asparagus also makes a great side dish during a camping trip.
Hot, savory dishes pair well with asparagus. Serve this recipe as a side dish alongside salmon, crab cakes, pork skewers or marinated steaks. The grill gives the asparagus a lightly charred, smoky flavor that makes it a good barbecue addition. For extra flavor, add pine nuts or goat cheese to the grilled asparagus before you serve the dish. This also gives the dish an earthy, rustic look.
Refrigerate leftovers as soon as possible–this recipe might not have meat or dairy, but cooked vegetables can still go bad if you leave them out. Cover the dish with plastic wrap, or better yet, a beeswax wrap, then enjoy the grilled asparagus within 5 days. Throw them on the grill again or frying pan to recapture the hot, smoky flavor.
Grilled Asparagus in Foil
- 1 large bunch green asparagus (about 1 lb.) - ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil - divided
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Orange wedges - to serve
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Prepare 2 large pieces of foil.
- Place half of the asparagus in the center of each foil piece. We are making 2 foil packs because you don’t want the asparagus to overlap too much.1 large bunch green asparagus (about 1 lb.)
- Drizzle the olive oil over the asparagus (1 tablespoon in each pack).2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, honey and mustard. Pour it over the asparagus evenly and season with salt and pepper.1/4 cup orange juice, 2 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Fold the foil over the asparagus and seal the ends together.
- Place the asparagus foil packs on the grill, close the lid and grill for 5 minutes.
- Carefully flip the packs over and grill for another 5 minutes, or until the asparagus is fork-tender. The cooking time will depend on how thick the stalks are.
- Open the foil packets carefully to let the steam out. Serve with the orange wedges!
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
What did you think of our take on grilled foil-pack asparagus? Let us know in the comments and please share the recipe!