Pad Thai is one of those non-vegan comfort foods that can be converted into a plant-based delight with just a few tweaks. This recipe shows just how simple it is to make vegan Pad Thai in about 30 minutes.
With only fifteen minutes of prep time, it is quick and easy. Use it to satisfy your own cravings, make it for dinner as the new family favorite, or share it with friends at a potluck.
- rice noodles
- sesame oil
- garlic cloves
- fresh ginger
- green beans
- red bell pepper
- coconut milk
- curry powder
- black sesame seeds
Pad Thai is one of the most popular Asian dishes in the world, and it’s no wonder why. The stir-fried rice noodles have a delightfully chewy texture that you can’t find in anything else, which is complemented perfectly by the crunch of chopped peanuts.
Unfortunately, the Pad Thai you find at restaurants is typically not vegan or even vegetarian, even though it is traditionally topped with tofu. Common ingredients include fish sauce, eggs, and shrimp. Luckily, it is so easy to sub these things out to make a Vegan Pad Thai. The result is just as flavorful as the original.
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge. They can be reheated on the stove or in the microwave. You may need to add a little more oil, coconut milk or water to the pan to avoid it being dry.
Wine & Beer Pairing
If you’re looking for a wine to pair with your vegan Pad Thai, it is best to choose a crisp, white wine like a Sauvignon Blanc or Riesling. As for a red wine, you could go with a Pinot Noir.
Dark beers with their chocolate and coffee aromas go especially well with nuts and coconut milk, so you can choose from your favorite stouts, porters and black lagers for this creamy Thai dish.
Vegans and non-vegans alike are sure to ask for the recipe. They may be surprised to find out that it is not only delicious but also cruelty-free and nutritious.
After you try out this recipe, let us know what you think. Did you make it for yourself or a crowd? Was it an instant winner?
Vegan Pad Thai
- 2 cups rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves - chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger - chopped
- ½ cup onion - thinly sliced
- ½ cup carrot - thinly sliced
- ½ cup green beans - thinly sliced
- ½ cup red bell pepper - thinly sliced
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup peanuts - chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- 2 tablespoons cilantro - chopped
- ¼ cup scallions - thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- Put the noodles in a large bowl and cover with hot water. Let them soak for 3 minutes.
- Drain the noodles well in a colander. Reserve.
- In a large nonstick wok or skillet, heat the sesame oil.
- Add the garlic, ginger and all of the veggies (except for the scallions) and cook over med-high heat, stirring occasionally until lightly browned (about 5 minutes).
- Add the noodles and stir-fry until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, peanuts, curry powder, salt and pepper and cook until the sauce has slightly thickened (2 to 3 minutes).
- Garnish with cilantro, scallions and sesame seeds.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.