Chorizo and Eggs
Delicious, spicy and filling, chorizo and eggs is a Mexican twist on boring old breakfast standards. You don’t need to learn how to make anything complicated to enjoy the warm, savory flavors of this Mexican-inspired dish.
Basic kitchen tools and just a few standard pantry ingredients make up the main bulk of this recipe, but the real star is the tasty chorizo sausage. If you’re a fan of sausage and eggs for breakfast, continue on.
Not all chorizo is created equally! There are a few different styles of this unique ingredient and your recipe success depends on choosing the right kind. The two main styles of chorizo are Spanish and Mexican.
Both are made from pork and hot spices, but while Spanish chorizo is a smoky, cured and fully cooked sausage that is often found in a dry log like a salami, Mexican chorizo is a tangy raw sausage closer to the consistency of ground beef. While both are delicious, they are not interchangeable. The style you want for this recipe is the Mexican kind for that delectable savory sizzle.
This recipe is rounded out with onions, peppers and fresh parsley for some bright garden freshness. While it calls for both red and green bell peppers, you can change it up with your favorite color of bell pepper. Choose any variety of bell peppers you like for bright flecks of color in the finished product.
Look for the flat leaf Italian parsley rather than curly parsley for better flavor, or even dress it up with a little cilantro! Canola oil is a great and naturally flavorless choice for the sauté step, picking up the character of the onion and chorizo and infusing it throughout the dish.
When you add the chorizo you might see an excess of that beautiful bright fat cooking out, just like bacon. Remove this carefully with a spoon for a less greasy dish, or leave a little behind for gloriously rich and spicy chorizo and eggs.
Try serving these spicy scrambled eggs with some salsa or hot sauce for a flavor boost! It’s not uncommon to serve with tortillas or refried beans either for a delicious breakfast taco.
And with a meal this good, why limit yourself to breakfast? Let us know in the comments what you thought of these chorizo and eggs and please share the recipe!
Chorizo and Eggs
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- ½ cup white onion - chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper - chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper - chopped
- 1 cup ground chorizo sausage meat - casings removed
- Salt - to taste
- Fresh parsley - chopped (to garnish)
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl with a fork, until the yolks and egg whites are blended.
- Preheat a frying pan to medium heat.
- Add the canola to the pan. Fry the onion and peppers for 2 minutes.
- Crumble the chorizo into the pan and fry for about 5 minutes, until fully cooked. Remove excess grease, if needed.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the pan with the chorizo mixture. Let the eggs sit in the pan and cook for 1 minute, without stirring. Then, gently stir until the eggs are just cooked. Add salt, to taste.
- Serve with fresh parsley, if desired. It can also be served in warm tortillas.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Hungry for more? Try our Cake Pop Maker Falafels