This tuna casserole with tangy sun-dried tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, short-cut pasta and a creamy, tomato-pesto Alfredo sauce is a delicious, easy meal for the whole family to enjoy.
While tuna casserole is a classic comfort meal on its own, this recipe gives the traditional combination of creamy Alfredo and tuna a fresh update with added sun-dried tomatoes and a tomato-based pesto.
Alfredo by itself is great, but a sauce that is part alfredo and part tomato pesto-based adds a sweetness and tang to balance out the creamy sauce. The end result is hearty without being too heavy, and is finished cooking in about 25 minutes.
- dry shell pasta – or another short-cut pasta like elbow
- sun-dried tomato pesto
- Alfredo sauce
- oil-packed/sliced sundried tomatoes – I drain the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes before adding them to my milk and Alfredo sauce. Sun-dried tomatoes also add some textural contrast to the tuna with their chewiness.
- canned solid white tuna – also known as albacore tuna
- Parmesan cheese – Parmesan’s natural nuttiness lends another layer of flavor without having to add much extra. It adds a cheesy top layer to this already-delicious casserole.
- fresh parsley
Tips & Tweaks
- You can add whichever extra spices you like, but I like to keep it simple with salt and pepper as to not overpower tuna’s delicate flavor or change the sauce’s flavor profile.
- Make sure to use solid white tuna (Albacore) rather than light flaked tuna, even though it is a tad more expensive. It is well worth it in this recipe for its firmer texture and milder flavor.
- As for drink pairing, I recommend a crisp white wine like a Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay, as they are a good match with cream-based sauces and tuna.
This tuna casserole keeps well in the fridge in an air-tight container for 3 to 4 days.
This is one of our special, comfort-food dishes that my family loves to dig into on a regular basis. Let me know in the comments how it turned out for you and please share the recipe!
Creamy Tuna & Sun-Dried Tomato Casserole
- 3 cups dry shell pasta - or another short-cut pasta like elbow
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 12 ounces Alfredo sauce
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup oil-packed/sliced sun dried tomatoes - drained of the oil
- 12 ounces canned solid white tuna - drained and broken into chunks
- 1 cup mushrooms - sliced
- ½ cup fresh Parmesan cheese - finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley - chopped
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a 9” x 13” casserole dish.3 cups dry shell pasta
- In a bowl, mix together pesto, Alfredo sauce, milk, and sun-dried tomatoes.3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto, 12 ounces Alfredo sauce, ¼ cup milk, ¼ cup oil-packed/sliced sun dried tomatoes
- Add to the pasta, stirring to coat. Fold in the tuna and mushrooms. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.12 ounces canned solid white tuna, 1 cup mushrooms, ½ cup fresh Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Hungry for more? Try our Mini Apple Pies: A Fall School Snack Recipe