Tuna casserole with tangy sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, shell pasta and a creamy, tomato-pesto Alfredo sauce.
While tuna casserole is a classic comfort meal on its own, this recipe gives the traditional combination of creamy Alfredo and tuna a fresh update with added sun-dried tomatoes and a tomato-based pesto.
The end result is hearty without being too heavy, and is finished cooking in about 25 minutes. This is one of those filling comfort-food dishes that we love to dig into on a regular basis.
Alfredo by itself is great, but a sauce that is part alfredo and part tomato pesto-based adds a sweetness and tartness to balance out the creamy sauce.
I drain the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes before adding to my milk and Alfredo sauce. Sun-dried tomatoes also add some textural contrast to the tuna, with their chewiness.
You can add whichever extra spices you like, but I keep it simple with salt and pepper as to not overpower tuna’s delicate flavor or change the sauce profile.
Parmesan’s natural nuttiness also lends another layer of flavor without having to add much extra. It adds a cheesy top layer to this already-delicious casserole.
Make sure to use solid white tuna rather than flaked, even though it is a tad more expensive. It is well worth it in this recipe!
This casserole keeps well in the fridge in an air-tight container for 3 to 4 days. I recommend a crisp white wine like a Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay for pairing, as they are a good match with cream-based sauces.
How did this recipe turn out for you? Do you have a favorite spin on tuna casserole?
Creamy Tuna & Sun-Dried Tomato Casserole
- 3 cups dry shell pasta - small or medium size
- 3 tbsp. sun-dried tomato pesto
- 12 oz. Alfredo sauce
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup oil-packed/sliced sun dried tomatoes - drained of the oil
- 12 oz. canned solid white tuna - drained and broken into chunks
- 1 cup mushrooms - sliced
- ½ cup fresh Parmesan cheese - finely shredded
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley - chopped
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a 9” x 13” casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a bowl, mix together pesto, Alfredo sauce, milk, and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add to the pasta, stirring to coat.
- Fold in the tuna and mushrooms.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Hungry for more? Try our Mini Apple Pies: A Fall School Snack Recipe