While living in the UK, we passed many a food stand serving hot pasties: a hand-pie filled with meat like beef or chicken, root vegetables and basic seasonings. They are a delicious, savory pastry that I have not been able to get out of my head since. So, I set out to make these hand-held pastries into a full pie that is easy to make and feeds the whole family.
Hot and delicious, this chicken pasty pie recipe takes a classic British dish and turns it into a home-cooked meal that you’ll want to devour as soon as it’s out of the oven. Your kitchen will be filled with the aromas of hot cooked pastry, sizzling chicken breast, and scrumptious vegetables.
This recipe has the taste of a pasty, but in full pie form it’s simple enough that anyone can make it at home. Turn those chicken breasts you’ve got sitting around in the freezer into a delicious dinner.
This recipe is the perfect way to make use of the old ingredients you’ve got lying around in your fridge. Have some chicken breasts left over from the roast chicken you made recently? How about a few vegetables that need to be used up?
Grab a couple of pie crusts from the store and throw together some simple ingredients to make a hearty, filling dish.
Traditionally, Cornish pasties are made with beef, so you could sub that meat in if you prefer it to chicken!
When you take this pie out of the oven, you’ll want to tear into it right away. But make sure you give it time to cool down so you don’t burn your mouth on the sizzling hot meat and vegetables.
This recipe recommends using unbaked pie crusts, but for an extra homemade touch, you can make your own pie crusts using your favorite recipe.
This dish tastes best in the autumn and winter months, when the air is cold and crisp, but you can also serve it in the summertime for a hearty family dinner. Throw in some cold drinks and a light dessert and you’re ready to go!
Chicken Pasty Pie
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 lb. chicken breast - cubed (about 3 chicken breasts)
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 potatoes - peeled and diced
- 2 small carrots - diced
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- 2 unbaked pie crusts
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Melt the butter in the skillet.
- Add the chicken, onion, potatoes, carrots, and some salt and pepper. Cook until the chicken is fully cooked, about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Let the filling cool for about 30 minutes. Check the seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Preheat oven to 425°F and position the rack on the bottom.
- Place 1 unbaked pie crust into a 9” pie plate. Add the cooled pasty filling. Cover with the 2nd unbaked pie crust and seal the edges. Cut a few slits into the top of the pie crust to allow steam to escape while baking.
- Place the pie plate on a metal baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven on the bottom rack for 30-35 minutes, until the crust is golden.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Hungry for more? Try our Electric Skillet Creamy Tuscan Chicken