Chili is hearty and comforting at any time of year, but it takes a long time to cook, right? Not necessarily! Flavorful chili can be fast, easy, and simple enough to cook in an electric skillet. The trick is: you add the aromatic onion, pepper, garlic, and spices first, and cook them just a bit to release their full flavor.
Then the rest of this easy recipe comes right together. Electric skillet chili will become a fast favorite both for its rich flavor and quick cooking time.
Chili as we know and love it is classic Tex-Mex cuisine, first made by working-class Mexican women in southern Texas–the Chili Queens of San Antonio. Today, chili has become a staple all-American dish and is the official state food of Texas.
I love this chili served steaming hot in a bowl with cheddar cheese on top, which melts beautifully over the heat of the chili. If the spice of the chili is too much for you, consider adding a dollop of sour cream.
Dairy can help counteract the heat of the chili. You could add less Mexican spice, or more hot sauce if you like your chili fiery.
If you have leftovers you can use them to make Frito pie by using a cup of chili over a handful of corn chips and topping with onion, jalapeno and cheese. This also tops chili dogs or macaroni and cheese to make chili mac.
Are you going to have enough leftovers to try one of these suggestions? If you enjoyed this easy electric skillet chili, let us know in the comments!
Electric Skillet Chili
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves - chopped
- 1 onion - chopped
- ½ red pepper - chopped
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 cup canned kidney beans - drained and rinsed (reserve the liquid)
- 1 cup mushrooms - cleaned and sliced
- 2 cups canned tomatoes - blended
- 1 tbsp. Mexican spice seasoning
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. hot sauce - optional
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Fresh cilantro - chopped
- Cheddar cheese - shredded
- Tortilla chips
- Heat electric frying pan to 350ºF. Heat the oil and add the garlic cloves. Let them cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add onion and red pepper. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper and let them cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the ground beef and stir with a wooden spoon, breaking the meat into chunks. Brown the ground beef thoroughly. Add the beans and the rest of the ingredients.
- Lower heat to 250ºF and continue cooking with the lid on the electric skillet for 10 minutes.
- If you feel it is too thick, you can pour the reserved liquid from the beans into the chili, until desired consistency. If needed, season again with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with toppings.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Another tasty electric frying pan recipe you might enjoy: