This recipe for beans in tomato sauce creates a flavorful, healthy side dish that tastes like it came straight out of Great Britain. It includes a solid amount of vegetables and a big burst of taste, ready for any meal you want to pair with it – the most common choice being a Full English Breakfast or simply a piece of toast.
Whichever way you choose to enjoy these delicious beans, you should feel a sense of satisfaction having made it from scratch in your own kitchen!
When preparing these beans, you can throw all the onions, carrots, garlic, and celery into the food processor and pulse them. That way they are cut into tiny bits that blend into the texture of the beans.
You can make this recipe vegetarian by swapping out the Worcestershire sauce with a vegetarian one. But don’t leave it out altogether, as it’s crucial to the taste of the beans!
If you’re not in the mood to assemble a Full English Breakfast, you can serve these British beans with toast points as dippers. They are great for breakfast because the protein and the fiber in the beans keeps you feeling full for longer. The beans can also be served as a side dish for lunch or dinner.
These beans transport me back to Great Britain. What dishes do you remember that can transport your taste buds to other places?
Electric Skillet British-Style Beans in Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 celery stalk - chopped
- 1 onion - chopped
- ½ cup carrots - chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - chopped
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 3 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups cooked white beans - drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Fresh rosemary - to garnish
- Preheat electric skillet to 250ºF.
- Add oil, celery, onion, carrots, garlic and balsamic vinegar. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, ketchup, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to mix well.
- Add 1 cup of water and lower heat to 200ºF. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the beans, salt and pepper.
- Cook at 200ºF for 5 more minutes, stirring often (if you want the sauce to be thicker, cook it a bit longer).
- Serve over toasted bread with rosemary or add it to a Full English Breakfast.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Check out some highly-rated electric frying pans here!