Tear into these bison ribs with juicy, tender meat smothered in barbecue sauce. Brown sugar adds a little sweetness to the spicy dry rub and earthy oregano. Serve these ribs after a long week of work, if you’re having guests over for dinner or whenever you’re in the mood for hearty BBQ flavors.
You only need a few ingredients plus pantry items to make this delicious rib dinner.
- bison short ribs
- olive oil
- BBQ dry rub
- brown sugar
- dried oregano
- sea salt
- BBQ sauce
Side Dish Ideas
Pair your bison short ribs with cold side dishes, such as coleslaw and creamy pasta salad, to offset the hot, filling entrée. Offer rolls or cornbread muffins that diners can use to mop up the sauce.
For warm side dishes, try baked beans, macaroni and cheese, grilled pickles, hush puppies or green bean casserole.
You can store leftover bison ribs in a covered container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Heat them up in the oven and add more barbecue sauce for best results. For longer use, you can freeze ribs in an airtight container for three months or in a vacuum-sealed bag for up to 2 to 3 years.
Did you enjoy these bison short ribs? Let me know in the comments and please share the recipe!
Bison Short Ribs
- 5 pounds bone-in bison short ribs
- 3 tablespoons BBQ dry rub
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- Rinse the bison short ribs in cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.5 pounds bone-in bison short ribs
- Combine the BBQ rub, brown sugar, dried oregano and sea salt in a small bowl.3 tablespoons BBQ dry rub, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- Brush the ribs with olive oil. Rub the dry seasoning mixture into the ribs.2 tablespoons olive oil
- Transfer the seasoned ribs to a resealable plastic bag. Marinate for 2 hours in the fridge or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 275°F. Place the seasoned ribs in a foil-lined baking dish. Cover the dish tightly with another piece of foil and seal the foil together so that the meat will steam.
- Bake the ribs in the preheated oven for 3 ½ to 4 hours, until they've reached an internal temperature of 205°F. The meat should be very tender and fall off the bone.
- Brush the ribs generously with barbecue sauce. Set the oven to a low broil. Broil the ribs for about 3 minutes, until the BBQ sauce just starts to bubble and caramelize.½ cup BBQ sauce
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.