Fruit and chocolate: it's a winning combination. The refreshing taste of orange citrus is perfectly balanced by the sweetness of the chocolate chips. It's sweet, tangy and fruity and all wrapped up in a delicious chocolate chip orange zest muffin.
This recipe is made from real ingredients like milk, butter, eggs and fresh orange juice, so you can treat yourself without feeling guilty about it. Enjoy a muffin freshly baked or grab one out of the fridge on your way to work.
One of the best things about muffins is that they're portable. You can't exactly take bacon and eggs in the car with you, but you can grab a muffin and enjoy breakfast on the way to school or work, or pack it in your kids’ lunches. You can also tuck a muffin in your purse for an afternoon snack or surprise your kids when they come home from school.
There's something about the combination of oranges and chocolate that make you think of the holiday season. Maybe it's because orange peels are used in various holiday treats, or maybe it's because Christmas is chocolate chip cookie season.
Whatever the case, this snack is perfect for cool mornings or afternoons where you're walking in the park with a muffin in one hand and a latte in the other.
And if you're looking to beat the heat in the summertime, the citrus flavors are refreshing and great for snacking while you're lounging by the poolside or out on a picnic. With a little creativity, you can enjoy this snack every day of the year.
What are some of your favorite goods to bake in the fall? Let us know in the comment section and if you enjoyed this recipe, please share!
Chocolate Chip Orange Zest Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup milk - room temperature
- ¼ cup orange juice - freshly squeezed
- ½ cup butter - melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs - at room temperature
- 2 tbsp. orange zest
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place muffin liners into the cavities of a muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, butter, orange juice and eggs. Add the orange zest.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin liners.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of a muffin.
- Cool and enjoy!
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Looking for more holiday recipes? Try our Food Gift Recipe: Fudgy Chocolate Mug Cake