This creamy buffalo chicken dip with shredded chicken, three cheeses and buffalo sauce is a classic comfort food, perfect for gatherings or simply snacking at home. It’s easy to prepare and serve this dip using a slow cooker.
Prep time for this recipe is only 10 minutes; simply combine the ingredients and let the crockpot do the rest!
- cream cheese
- cooked/shredded chicken breast
- buffalo sauce – a buttery hot sauce
- sour cream
- ranch dressing
- fresh garlic
- fresh jalapeños
- cheddar cheese
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Garnishes: green onions and chili powder
Short History of Buffalo Chicken Dip
The dip is a spinoff of the original Buffalo Chicken Wings, which were served for the first time at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York in 1964 by co-owner Teressa Bellissimo (she owned the bar with her husband Frank). They quickly became a hit and since then have become a staple at American gatherings, especially on football game days.
Many variations of buffalo chicken have been created since, which is where the inspiration came for this dip. This variation still contains chicken and the famous, spicy buffalo sauce, but in a cheesy dip form.
The original buffalo chicken wings were served with celery sticks so it would make sense to use them for dipping. Some other ideas for dipping are tortilla chips, pita chips, crackers and carrots.
For a more convenient and affordable ingredient option, you could choose to use canned chunk chicken instead of fresh chicken breast. If you have leftover chicken, this is a great way to use it up.
You may also add some of your preferred brand of hot sauce for a spicier dip or omit the jalapeños to tone it down.
This dip will store well covered in the refrigerator for a few days. It can be reheated in the slow cooker on the warm setting. You could also freeze portions of this dip for up to 3 months, although keep in mind that the texture may be slightly different.
This slow cooker buffalo chicken dip makes an easy and convenient option for parties and potlucks, and you will likely be coming back to this recipe for years to come! Let me know what you thought of it in the comments and please share the recipe.
Easy Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese - softened
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast - shredded
- ⅔ cup buffalo sauce
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup ranch dressing
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 3 tablespoons jalapeños - seeded and diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese - shredded
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese - shredded
- 2 green onions - sliced
- chili powder
- Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on and cook on low heat for about 2 hours, until it's hot and the cheeses are fully melted. Stir the mixture occasionally to help it combine.
- Sprinkle with green onions and chili powder. Serve with tortilla chips, crackers, veggies, etc.
- Storage: This dip will store well covered in the refrigerator for a few days. It can be reheated in the slow cooker on the warm setting. You could also freeze portions of this dip for up to 3 months, although keep in mind that the texture may be slightly different.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.