Have you ever wondered how to make your own homemade Ranch dressing? It’s simple to make, easily customizable and just as good as the stuff that comes in the bottle – only you know exactly what’s going in it.
Impress your whole family with this creamy, herbaceous Ranch dressing that you can make at home in only 10 minutes!
What gives Ranch that unique flavor that we all love? To me, the buttermilk and onion powder really stand out as the defining ingredients that make Ranch dressing what it is, but of course it wouldn’t be Ranch without all of the other ingredients combined.
Ranch is a popular flavor for tortilla chips and other crunchy snacks. You can use it as a salad dressing or a dip for veggies, chips, fries, wings, jalapeño poppers, or any fried food really! It’s one of my secret ingredients for creamy mashed potatoes (trust me on this…).
Ranch dressing was developed by a Nebraskan cowboy. Him and his wife started a ranch in California. Due to the popularity of his perfected salad dressing recipe for their guests, they began to mail it in packets all over of the country under a name I’m sure you’ve heard of: ‘Hidden Valley Ranch’. The company was bought out eventually and the sauce was then bottled for stores in the 80’s.
What do you drizzle your Ranch on? Let us know in the comments and if you liked the recipe, please share!
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. fresh chives - finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. fresh dill - finely chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh parsley - finely chopped
- ⅛ tsp. salt - or to taste
- ⅛ tsp. pepper - or to taste
- ¼ cup buttermilk - or to desired consistency
- Mix all ingredients except for the buttermilk in a bowl.
- Once combined, add the buttermilk and mix until smooth.
- It can be served immediately or chilled in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Hungry for more? Try our Chicken Pasty Pie