Potatoes, onions, and a creamy, cheesy sauce – the holy trinity of deliciousness, if you ask me. Scalloped potatoes is one of my most favorite dishes, as it can easily be a side dish or a main entrée if you add veggies, ham or sausage to it.
The cheese sauce that forms in the pan holds those perfectly sliced potatoes and onions together for the perfect bite. YUM.
Traditionally, scalloped potatoes are baked in the oven for over an hour, until the potatoes have cooked through. But, if you don’t want to wait that long for that cheesy potato goodness, you might want to try electric skillet scalloped potatoes!
Not only does it take a shorter amount of time, but the electric frying pan saves you from having to heat up your oven if you don’t feel like it and keeps your stovetop free and clear for any other dishes you might be cooking.
With just a few simple ingredients and a few minutes of prep, you can have a delicious and filling dish to warm you up.
For evenly sliced potatoes, try using a mandolin and adjust the thickness setting to the highest one so your potatoes don’t fall apart while cooking. Also, be sure to use the hand grip tool so you don’t hurt yourself!
If you’re not too concerned about calories, you can swap the water out for milk, half-and-half, or cream. Cream is traditional. It makes the sauce a bit thicker and creamier, which has never been a complaint in my house. You can even try swapping the parsley out for dill, which goes great with potatoes.
Your family will love smelling the onions, potatoes and cheese cooking, and I’m sure will be waiting in anticipation for your skillet potatoes to be done. Let us know how you liked this dish and if you added any twists of your own to make it unique!
Electric Skillet Scalloped Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 small yellow onions - sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 – 6 potatoes (Russet or Yukon Gold) - cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 cup water, milk or cream - whichever you prefer
- 1 ½ cups cheese - grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley - chopped
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Melt the butter in the electric skillet over medium heat (300°F).
- Add the onions and cook until soft and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the olive oil and layer the potato slices on the bottom of the skillet with the onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook without stirring for 5 minutes, or until the potatoes begin to brown on the bottom.
- Add the liquid, cover with the lid and cook over medium low heat (250°F) for 40 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the cheese. Cover and continue cooking for 5 more minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle the parsley over the potatoes. Serve.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
More delicious recipes: