Italian Sausage Sandwich
This hot and toasty Italian sausage sandwich is bursting with flavor. Spicy peppers and sausage mingle with savory Italian spices and sweet balsamic vinegar for the best lunch or quick dinner.
A sausage sandwich with a grilled deli bun is sure to have your family running to the table. Pair with chips or fruit for a filling lunch or serve with grilled potatoes and a salad for an easy and tasty full dinner.
Finding something everyone will like can be a struggle, but these familiar flavors combined in a new way will delight both kids and adults.
The only thing that could make this flavorful sub any better is if you have some mozzarella on hand. Stuffing in some melty cheese will bring this sandwich to the next level. However, if you’re sensitive to dairy, leave off the cheese and enjoy the sautéed peppers and onions.
If your table is mostly adults, don’t be afraid to pick up the spicy sausage. A little kick pairs nicely with the bitingly sweet balsamic vinegar. If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, just pop the sausage, vegetables, and sauce into the microwave and toast up a fresh bun.
Toasting the rolls is a must for this recipe. We want to avoid a soggy sandwich from the saucy filling and it adds a nice crispiness to the meal.
Satisfying meals don’t have to be hard! Who will you share your Italian sausage sandwiches with?
Italian Sausage Sandwich
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- ½ yellow onion - sliced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 red bell pepper - sliced
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 8 Italian sausages - hot or mild
- 4 hoagie rolls or brat buns
- Fresh oregano leaves - optional
- In a medium non-stick saucepan, heat canola oil to medium heat and sauté onion and garlic until onion is translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add dried oregano, balsamic vinegar, bell peppers, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Add salt, to taste (if needed) and reserve.
- Cut sausages lengthwise and grill them on a hot grill. Cook for about 2 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Open the deli buns and grill them on the open side until lightly toasted.
- Assemble the sandwiches with the sausages, pepper sauce and fresh oregano (optional).
- Slice and serve.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Hungry for more? Try our Chicken-Fried Burgers