Grapefruit Vanilla Cake
Looking for a unique cake to serve at the next bridal shower, night in with friends, or even just a family dinner? This zesty grapefruit vanilla cake is bursting with mouthwatering flavor and luscious texture!
This unique twist on lemon poppy seed cake is sure to please even the most dedicated dessert traditionalists.
With just the right amount of smooth vanilla to balance the bright flavors of grapefruit, this cake is the perfect kind of sweet. Everyday ingredients make this cake a cinch to whip up.
Frosted in simple, elegant white icing that delivers just the right hint of citrusy flavor and decorated with beautiful, edible flowers, this grapefruit vanilla cake looks like it took hours to make. Tiny poppy seeds and vanilla bean specks add delicate texture to each bite.
From simplicity to flavor to texture, this dessert if full of surprises, and is the perfect blend of complimentary tastes and features. You and your guests will be glad you gave it a try!
Accidentally over-baked your cake? No worries! Follow this tutorial to make your cake moist after baking.
What did you think of my unique bundt cake? If you gave it a try, let me know in the comments!
Grapefruit Vanilla Cake
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. grapefruit juice - you can add a bit more or less depending on how firm you’d like the icing
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla powder - or 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Butter and flour a bundt cake pan.
- In a bowl, combine grapefruit zest and sugar and rub with your fingers until it looks like wet sand.
- Whisk in buttermilk, vanilla, grapefruit juice and eggs. Whisk until it’s very smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla powder and salt. Add dry ingredients into the batter, then pour in oil and poppy seeds. Mix carefully until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean, about 1 hour. Let it sit and cool.
- In a small bowl, mix the powdered sugar with the grapefruit juice and vanilla and whisk until you get a soft cream (you can add a bit more or less grapefruit juice depending on how thick you like the icing).
- Pour the icing over the cake and decorate with with edible flowers.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Looking for dinner ideas? Try our Beef Tenderloin with Bourbon & Mushroom Sauce