Check out this guide on how to slice garlic like a professional chef, including the techniques for peeling and slicing thin slices. Garlic is a favorite food of many who can appreciate its robust, bitter and spicy flavor. With a multitude of uses in dishes from all across the world, you'd have to look far and wide for someone who doesn't love this little plant.
But while many can appreciate garlic for its flavor, they're not as likely to make use of it fresh in their cooking. This might have something to do with how hard it can be to properly slice a clove of garlic, and how simple it is to sprinkle your dish with some garlic powder instead.
Whether you use a sharp knife or a mandolin for those paper thin cuts, learning how to slice garlic is a must for every chef. You can choose between vertical and horizontal slices; in any case, always protect your fingers!
Step #1. Gather These Items
For this tutorial, you will need:
- garlic cloves (as many as the recipe calls for)
- small paring knife
- cutting board
Step #2. Peel the Garlic
Remove the garlic peel using a small knife. Or, you can use this awesome trick to peel an entire garlic bulb in 20 seconds!
Step #3. Slice the Garlic Vertically
Carefully cut the clove into thin vertical slices using a small knife, keeping fingers away.
Alternatively, you can use a mandolin and slide the garlic down the mandolin using a hand guard.
Step #4. Slice the Garlic Horizontally
Credit: Photo by depositphotos.com
To make horizontal slices, lay the garlic clove on its side on the cutting board. Use a knife to make thin slices from the top of the clove to the bottom.
Step #5. Ready to Use
Use the sliced garlic to add to stir fries and roasted vegetables or make garlic chips.
Now you've got the skills you'll need to slice garlic like a pro. While any kind of precise knife skills can be a bit intimidating, all you need is a little practice and some reliable tools to master your craft. A garlic mandolin can be a great tool for those paper thin garlic slices.
What's your favorite use for garlic? Do you prefer it sliced, minced, or chopped? Let me know in the comments.
How to Slice Garlic
- 1 garlic clove
- Remove the garlic peel using a small paring knife.
- Vertical Slices: Carefully cut the clove into thin vertical slices using a small knife, keeping fingers away. Alternatively, you can use a mandolin and slide the garlic down the mandolin using a hand guard.
- Horizontal Slices: To make horizontal slices, lay the garlic clove on its side on the cutting board. Use a knife to make thin slices from the top of the clove to the bottom.
- Your garlic slices are ready to be used.
- Use the sliced garlic to add to stir fries and roasted vegetables or make garlic chips.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Looking to further enhance your cooking skills? Check out...How to Make Caramel Bars