Independence Day brings fireworks, family fun, and flavorful food. This Red White & Blue Layered Fruit & Ice Cream Treat is a cool tasty treat to serve at your 4th of July gathering. Easy to make ahead of time, you can serve these as dessert after your barbecue or as a refreshing afternoon treat after watching the parade.
Strawberries and blueberries offer their fruity goodness to the recipe. The light fresh taste of the lemon ice cream combines well with the freshness of the fruit.
The recipe yields 10 small servings, perfect for a gathering of family and friends. It is also easy to double or triple if you are entertaining a larger crowd.
Independence Day is definitely a day filled with red, white, and blue. You can make a few changes to this dessert without changing the beautiful colors it displays.
The red of the strawberries can easily be swapped for pitted sweet cherries. While blueberries are the best known of the blue fruit, you can add the deeper blue shade of blackberries. Vanilla ice cream brings the white with a bit of a sweeter, less zesty note than the lemon.
A large baking tray will help in preparation of this dessert.
- Line your dessert bowls up on the tray, then add the strawberry gelatin mixture.
- Set the tray in the fridge to set.
- When you are ready to serve, bring out the tray, then add the ice cream, blueberries and coconut on top.
- Pick up the tray and bring it out to your guests!
When you’re planning the menu for your 4th of July gathering, you should consider mini cold treats and fruity desserts like this Red White & Blue Layered Fruit & Ice Cream Treat. It’s easy to portion them out to your guests, plus they look amazing! Will you be serving this treat? If so, let us know how it turned out!
Red White & Blue Layered Fruit & Ice Cream Treat
- 2 cups strawberries - chopped
- 1 lemon - juiced
- 2 tsp. sugar
- ¼ cup warm water
- 2 g (0.07 oz.) flavorless gelatin
- 2 cups lemon ice cream
- 1 cup blueberries
- Shredded coconut
- Place the strawberries, lemon juice and sugar in a pot and cook at medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until the strawberries are soft, and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat, let it cool for 5 minutes. Dissolve the gelatin completely in the warm water. Add to the strawberries. Mix well and pour into small dessert bowls. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- When the strawberries are set, add the ice cream and blueberries. Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
LOOKING FOR MORE 4TH OF JULY INSPO? CHECK OUT OUR: