Treat your friends, family and relatives this year with a plate of colorful Christmas cookies. Bright red-and-green M&Ms, tiny marshmallows and Christmas sprinkles sparkle in the glow of your holiday lights. These easy homemade cookies take less than 30 minutes to make. They are crispy on the outside with a chewy interior!
- white sugar
- baking powder
- red and green M&Ms
- mini marshmallows – the dehydrated kind that you see in hot chocolate mixes
- Christmas sprinkles
If you do some searching, you can find elaborate sprinkles, such as edible glitter and sprinkles shaped like Christmas ornaments. Or, you can try making your own with this recipe for homemade sprinkles.
Once you’ve made a batch for yourself, offer Christmas cookies as holiday gifts. Wrap a few cookies in plastic packaging tied with a bow, or stack them in a jar with a festive ribbon. Gift the cookies with tea or hot chocolate mix so that your recipients can enjoy a drink with dessert.
For parties, serve these cookies on a festive plate with other snacks, such as candy canes and fruitcake slices. They are one of the best options for bringing shareable treats to Christmas parties, potlucks and exchanges. They provide a fun, colorful, sweet bite after a joyous holiday meal and are easy to transport.
You can store cookies at room temperature for up to two to three weeks. Use an airtight container so that the cookies don’t get stale and hard.
Cookies can last up to eight to twelve months if you freeze them. Make a large batch during the holiday season, wrap them well and then freeze them. Enjoy them all holiday long and possibly into the new year.
Did you enjoy this Christmas cookie recipe? Let me know in the comments and please share!
Christmas Cookies Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and shortening with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer.¾ cup butter, ⅓ cup shortening
- Add the sugar and combine until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, one at a time.1 ½ cups white sugar, 2 large eggs
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.2 ⅓ cups flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir to combine.
- Mix in the m & m’s, mini marshmallows and sprinkles.1 cup red and green M&Ms, 1 cup mini marshmallows, ½ cup Christmas sprinkles
- Scoop tablespoon-size balls of cookie dough onto a baking sheet, spaced at least 1” apart. If desired, you can place a few more m & m's, marshmallows and sprinkles on top (gently press them in).
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 to 11 minutes. They will be golden on the bottom and have a few cracks on top. Let them sit in the pan for 1 minute before transferring to a baking rack (so that they don't fall apart). Let cool and serve!
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.