Dill Pickle Pasta Salad
Cool, creamy and tangy, this dill pickle pasta salad is a must-try for any dill pickle lovers. The fresh dill pickles are accentuated with relish, diced shallot, cucumbers and dill pickle juice.
To top it all off, this recipe adds cold pasta, cheese and mayonnaise to create a creamy pasta salad that’s perfect for your next picnic or barbecue. Serve it as a side to hot dogs and hamburgers, or make dill pickle pasta salad sandwiches for a unique summer lunch.
Skip the potato salad and bring this unique side dish to your next barbecue, potluck or family get-together. Dill pickles and cold pasta might sound like an unusual combination, but once you’ve tried this dish, you’ll realize that it’s the perfect complement to sizzling hot dogs, hamburgers, brats and veggie dogs.
This dish was made to be served on paper plates while your guests are talking and laughing in front of the grill. And while it might remind you of summer, pickle lovers will enjoy this dish any time of year.
One of the great things about pasta salad is that you can serve it in a number of ways. Serve it as a side dish or place it between two pieces of bread for a pasta salad sandwich. Add a squirt of ranch dressing for an extra burst of summery flavor.
Are you struggling with what to put in your kids’ lunches? This pasta salad is perfect to pack along for the school day, especially if your kids are pickle fans.
Store-bought pickles are fine, but if you’re really looking for a challenge, try making your own pickles for this dish. You can experiment with different brines to create a delicious homemade recipe that’s all your own. You could even spice the brine up with some chili peppers.
What did you think of adding pickles to your pasta salad? Let us know in the comments and if you enjoyed this recipe, please share!
Dill Pickle Pasta Salad
- 3 cups dry short cut pasta – like elbow or rotini
- ½ cup dill pickle juice – from the pickle jar
- 1 ½ cups dill pickles – chopped
- ½ cup cucumber – diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese – cubed (small)
- 1 shallot – diced
- 1 ½ cups mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup dill pickle juice – from the pickle jar
- 3 tbsp. sweet relish
- 2 ½ tbsp. fresh dill – chopped
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse pasta with cold water.
- Add the pasta to a large bowl. Add ½ cup pickle juice to the pasta and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine all of the dressing ingredients and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Reserve.
- Drain the pickle juice from the pasta. Again, transfer the pasta to a large bowl. Add the chopped pickles, cucumber, cheese and diced shallot.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta salad and mix together well, until the pasta is fully covered.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Serve garnished with fresh dill, if desired.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Looking for a drink to serve with your dinner? Try our Electric Skillet Mulled Wine