Korean kimchi is infinitely versatile, with enough health benefits to warrant picking some up at your preferred grocery store or learning to prepare it yourself.
Consider this recipe for kimchi grilled cheese: an interesting new spin on a classic comfort food. This simple recipe can be ready in about ten minutes, but will provide a new texture and flavor profile to an already familiar meal.
This kimchi grilled cheese sandwich recipe is especially useful for using up leftover kimchi from a prior dish since it only requires half a cup of kimchi. For best results, buy a block of cheddar cheese and grate it yourself for improved freshness and texture.
You also may consider adding spices to the mix, such as basil and chives, for a new dimension of flavor. A fresh loaf of rustic sourdough bread would also add a nice touch, enabling you to achieve perfectly crunchy toasted bread slices.
This recipe is best served immediately, so be sure to share with friends or family and avoid leftovers. If you do happen to have some leftovers though, you can reheat them in the pan to retain the crispiness.
It could even be made vegan by substituting plant based butter, mayo, and cheddar style shreds. You can find vegan kimchi as well, so no need to miss out on this delicious sandwich if you follow a vegan or vegetarian diet.
Mayo and sriracha make excellent dipping options for your kimchi grilled cheese sandwich, or you may decide to go the more traditional route by serving it with a bowl of classic tomato soup; try it with a tomato gravy for a thicker option.
How do you eat your kimchi? Let us know in the comments and if you liked this recipe, please share!
Kimchi Grilled Cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese - grated
- ½ cup kimchi - drained and chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh green onions - sliced
- 2 tbsp. butter - softened
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- 2 tbsp. mayo
- ½ tbsp. Sriracha sauce - optional
- In a medium bowl, combine the cheese, kimchi and green onions.1 cup cheddar cheese, ½ cup kimchi, 2 tbsp. fresh green onions
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.4 slices multigrain bread
- Spread the other side of 2 bread slices (not the buttered side) with mayo and sriracha. Top each with half of the cheese mixture. Top with the remaining bread slices (the buttered sides should be on the outside).
- Heat a large skillet to medium-low heat. Place the sandwiches in the skillet, cover with a lid and cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 3-5 minutes.
- Flip them over and cook uncovered for another 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown and cheese is fully melted.
- Slice the sandwiches in half and serve with extra mayo and sriracha on the side, if desired.
Nutrition information on In the Kitch is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. It may not include toppings and/or sauces.
Hungry for more kimchi recipes? Check out our Kimchi Fries